(9 hours approximately, dependent on time spent at attractions)
Tours need to be booked 48 hours in advance. Please note: Kahikatea Gardens is closed over the winter and bookings are subject to availability.
Animals Galore Tours are not available as shore excursions, due to distance from Wellington (2 hours drive). Please talk to us about other animal and bird watching options to meet your interests.
We Love Animals
We love animals and believe you can never get enough of them. On this nature-focused day trip to the beautiful rural Wairarapa and Manawatu regions, we will take you further up the North Island than any of our other tours – to Pukaha Mt Bruce and Kahikatea Gardens.
Pukaha Mount Bruce is New Zealand’s most successful wildlife breeding centre. You will encounter endangered wildlife such as tuatara, eels, kākā, kōkako and kiwi up close.
Kahikatea Gardens is a multi-generational country garden carefully planted to provide a delightful experience during spring, summer and early autumn, set in amongst a backdrop of ancient native trees, with a very special 900 year old kahikatea tree.
Pet sheep Tongariro and Daffodil will greet you on your arrival. You will meet more wonderful farm animals along the way with alpacas, donkeys, miniature horses, sheep and Harry the deer. Kahikatea Gardens provide an ideal opportunity to get up close and take photos with all the animals.
Adult Full Day
Includes pick up, drop off & refreshments
Sixth person travels free
We will drive through:
Wellington City / the Hutt Valley / Remutuka Hill / Featherston / Greytown / Carterton / Masterton
Some of our favourite activities include:
- Experiencing the changing scenery from Wellington Harbour, the Hutt River, then over the Remutaka Hill through to Wairarapa’s rural farmlands set against the outstanding Tararua Ranges.
- Stopping off in Featherston for locally produced award winning cheeses, wines and olive oils from C’est Cheese, backed up by coffee from the local café for those in need.
- Spending time in a walk-in aviary, being swooped on by native birds and grabbing fabulous photo opportunities.
- Being welcomed by donkeys braying and running across to meet you, patting sheep, miniature horses and other farm animals whilst wandering around a local private garden.
Please contact us prior to booking, as we work with other providers on this tour.
Minimum 3 people
Lunch is at customer cost on the day. We want to be as flexible as possible re meeting your food needs therefore have decided not to include lunch in the cost of the day. We will recommend excellent local food options suited to your group based on where we are when hunger strikes eg pies in the park or lunch at one of our fabulous local cafes.
Points to note
- Pick up at an agreed time and location.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended for walking. Weather dependent, the ground may be damp.
- Light refreshments included.
- Shore excursion are not available for this tour.
- Occasionally due to local weather, the Remutaka Hill road gets closed. If this happens on the day of your tour, we will work with you to offer you an alternative day out or provide a refund.
- Reasonable Terms & Conditions apply to all tours.
uTours offers you:
- A relaxing personal sightseeing tour designed specifically for you and your travelling companions.
- Personal space – our easy to access vehicles provide you with comfortable seats and big windows for outstanding views.
- A friend to show you around – your tour, our home town.
- Peace of mind – comfort stops as required.
- uTours, made for you.
What you can expect on your tour:
- You will be met on time at an agreed location, usually your accommodation.
- We will communicate with you quickly and clearly.
- Your tour will reflect your interests & time requirements.
- You will be driven safely, have fun and be well looked after.
- At the end of the tour, you will have a good sense and feel for the Wellington region.