(9 hours approximately, dependent on time spent at attractions)
Tours need to be booked 48 hours in advance. Please note: Kahikatea Gardens is closed over the winter and bookings are subject to availability.
Animals Galore Tours are not available as shore excursions, due to distance from Wellington (2 hours drive). Please talk to us about other animal and bird watching options to meet your interests.
We Love Animals
We love animals and believe you can never get enough of them. On this nature-focused day trip to the beautiful rural Wairarapa and Manawatu regions, we will take you further up the North Island than any of our other tours - to Pukaha Mt Bruce (2 hour drive from Wellington) and Kahikatea Gardens.
Pukaha Mount Bruce is New Zealand’s most successful wildlife breeding centre. You will encounter endangered wildlife such as tuatara, eels, kākā, kōkako and kiwi up close. Visit Manukura, the only white kiwi in captivity in the world – she is not an albino, her white feathers come from a rare recessive gene.
Kahikatea Gardens is a multi-generational country garden carefully planted to provide a delightful experience during spring, summer and early autumn, set in amongst a backdrop of ancient native trees, with a very special 900 year old kahikatea tree.
Pet sheep Tongariro and Daffodil will greet you on your arrival. You will meet more wonderful farm animals along the way with alpacas, donkeys, miniature horses, sheep and Harry the deer. Kahikatea Gardens provide an ideal opportunity to get up close and take photos with all the animals.
Adult Full Day
Includes pick up, drop off & refreshments
Sixth person travels free
We will drive through:
Wellington City / the Hutt Valley / Remutuka Hill / Featherston / Greytown / Carterton / Masterton
Some of our favourite activities include:
- Experiencing the changing scenery from Wellington Harbour, the Hutt River, then over the Remutaka Hill through to Wairarapa’s rural farmlands set against the outstanding Tararua Ranges.
- Stopping off in Featherston for locally produced award winning cheeses, wines and olive oils from C’est Cheese, backed up by coffee from the local café for those in need.
- Seeing a rare white kiwi up close, and I mean, actually being able to see the seemingly fluorescent white feathers this nocturnal bird – the kiwi, the most recognisable symbol of NZ.
- Spending time in a walk-in aviary, being swooped on by native birds and grabbing fabulous photo opportunities.
- Being welcomed by donkeys braying and running across to meet you, patting sheep, miniature horses and other farm animals whilst wandering around a local private garden.
Specific Conditions (as we work with other providers):
Minimum 3 people: For an additional fee we can provide a tour for two people (Tick relevant box on booking form). This fee will be refunded on the day if there are any other bookings for that day's tour.
Children: Our tours are generally designed for adults or children over the age of 10 (approximately). If you have younger children, please contact us to see how we can assist you.
Lunch is at customer cost on the day. We want to be as flexible as possible re meeting your food needs therefore have decided not to include lunch in the cost of the day. We will recommend excellent local food options suited to your group based on where we are when hunger strikes eg pies in the park or lunch at one of our fabulous local cafes.
Points to note
- The day will start at approximately 8-8.30am (dependent on pick up point).
- Pick up from your centrally located accommodation. Other locations possible, please ask.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended for walking. Weather dependent, the ground may be damp.
- Tour prices include light refreshments and a local guide at each attraction.
- Shore excursion are not available for this tour.
- Occasionally due to local weather, the Remutaka Hill road gets closed. If this happens on the day of your tour, we will work with you to offer you an alternative day out or provide a refund.
- Reasonable Terms & Conditions apply to all tours.
uTours offers you:
- A relaxing personal sightseeing tour designed specifically for you and your travelling companions.
- Personal space - our easy to access vehicles provide you with comfortable seats and big windows for outstanding views.
- A friend to show you around – your tour, our home town.
- Peace of mind - comfort stops as required.
- uTours, made for you.
What you can expect on your tour:
- You will be met on time at an agreed location, usually your accommodation.
- We will communicate with you quickly and clearly.
- Your tour will reflect your interests & time requirements.
- You will be driven safely, have fun and be well looked after.
- At the end of the tour, you will have a good sense and feel for the Wellington region.