(9 hours approximately, dependent on time spent at attractions)
We Love Animals
We love animals and believe you can never get enough of them. On this nature-focused day trip to the beautiful rural Wairarapa and Manawatu regions, we will take you further up the North Island than any of our other tours - to Pukaha Mt Bruce (2 hour drive from Wellington) and Kahikatea Gardens.
Pukaha Mount Bruce is New Zealand’s most successful wildlife breeding centre. You will encounter endangered wildlife such as tuatara, eels, kākā, kōkako and kiwi up close. Visit Manukura, the only white kiwi in captivity in the world – she is not an albino, her white feathers come from a rare recessive gene.
Kahikatea Gardens is a multi-generational country garden carefully planted to provide a delightful experience during spring, summer and early autumn, set in amongst a backdrop of ancient native trees, with a very special 900 year old kahikatea tree.
Pet sheep Tongariro and Daffodil will greet you on your arrival. You will meet more wonderful farm animals along the way with alpacas, donkeys, miniature horses, sheep and Harry the deer. Kahikatea Gardens provide an ideal opportunity to get up close and take photos with all the animals.
Adult Full Day
Fourth person guarantees exclusive tour. Sixth person is free.
We will drive through:
Wellington City / the Hutt Valley / Rimutuka Hill / Featherston / Greytown / Carterton / Masterton
Some of our favourite activities include:
- Experiencing the changing scenery from Wellington Harbour, the Hutt River, then over the Rimutaka Hill through to Wairarapa’s rural farmlands set against the outstanding Tararua Ranges.
- Stopping off in Featherston for locally produced award winning cheeses, wines and olive oils from C’est Cheese, backed up by coffee from the local café for those in need.
- Seeing a rare white kiwi up close, and I mean, actually being able to see the seemingly fluorescent white feathers this nocturnal bird – the kiwi, the most recognisable symbol of NZ.
- Spending time in the newly built walk-in aviary, being swooped on by native birds and grabbing fabulous photo opportunities.
- Being welcomed by donkeys braying and running across to meet you, patting sheep, miniature horses and other farm animals whilst wandering around a local private garden and home.
Specific Conditions (as we work with other providers):
Minimum 3 people: For an additional fee we can provide a tour for two people (Tick relevant box on booking form). This fee will be refunded on the day if there are any other bookings for that day's tour.
Tours need to be booked 24 hours in advance: Visits to Kahikatea Gardens are subject to availability.
Shore excursions to Pukaha Mt Bruce are not possible, due to distance travelled. Please talk to us about other bird watching options.
Points to note
- The day will start at approximately 8-8.30am (dependent on pick up point).
- Comfortable shoes are recommended for walking. Weather dependent, the ground may be damp.
- Tour prices include light refreshments and a local guide at each attraction.
- Lunch is at customer cost on the day - this means you can choose on the day eg fish and chips in a park or lunch at one of our fabulous cafes.
- Occasionally due to local weather, the Rimutaka Hill road gets closed. If this happens on the day of your tour, we will work with you to offer you an alternative day out or provide a refund.
- Reasonable Terms & Conditions apply to all tours.
uTours offers you:
- A relaxing personal sightseeing tour designed specifically for you and your travelling companions (maximum 6 people). uTours, made for you.
- A friend to show you around – make local connections and meet our Wellington. Your tour, our home town.
- Flexibility on the day – be free spirited or more organised. Your tour, your way.
- Comfort - Our easy to step into van provides you with plenty of space, great seats and big windows for outstanding views.
What you can expect on your tour:
- You will be met on time at an agreed location, usually your accommodation.
- We will communicate with you quickly and clearly.
- Your tour will reflect your interests & time requirements.
- You will be driven safely, have fun and be well looked after.
- At the end of the tour, you will have a good sense and feel for the Wellington region.