(7 hours approximately, itinerary based on your interests and time available)
Shore excursions to Kāpiti may be available depending on your ship's schedule. Please ask.
A day trip north on State Highway 1 through the Kāpiti Coast offers stunning scenery overlooking Kāpiti Island nature reserve, 40 kms of unspoilt beaches, historic sites, quirky seaside towns and a thriving arts and foodie scene.
We will communicate with you about your interests and tailor your tour to ensure we make the most of your small group’s time on the Kāpiti Coast.
Your day can be a mix of enjoying the natural unspoilt beauty of Kāpiti, exploring deserted sandy and rocky beaches, wandering happily amongst the local birds, plus enjoying fabulous art and food experiences at a relaxed pace.
We will pop into some attractions for a quick look and be more leisurely at others.
Driven by your interests, areas north of Wellington we cover can include:
Porirua / Pukerua Bay / Paekākāriki / Waikanae / Ōtaki / Paekākāriki Hill / Pahatahanui Inlet
Adult Full Day
Fourth person you book makes your tour private.
Sixth person is free.
Some of our favourite things to do in Kāpiti include:
- Taste your way around Kāpiti - The warm climate and fertile soils make Kāpiti a great place for artisan food and drink, including exceptional craft beer, local cheeses and ice creams. You can even pick your own fruit in season.
- Visiting the Southwards Car Museum, considered the premier privately owned automotive collection in the southern hemisphere, has over 400 cars for viewing.
- Shoppers will love their time spent in Ōtaki's Outlet shops or the 80 shops at Coastlands, one of the first malls in New Zealand, opened in 1969.
- History buffs will enjoy Rangiātea & St Mary's, two historic Ōtaki churches built in the 1850's, and Queen Elizabeth Park in Paekākāriki, home to 15,000 American marines during WWII.
- Bird lovers can visit Ngā Manu Nature reserve (eels, tuatara, kiwi and other native birds), or the Waikanae Estuary and Scenic Reserve for opportunities to enjoy local birdlife.
Children: Our tours are generally designed for adults or children over the age of 10 (approximately). Private tours are more flexible. If you have younger children, please contact us to see how we can assist you.
Lunch is at customer cost on the day. We want to be as flexible as possible re meeting your food needs therefore have decided not to include lunch in the cost of the day. We will recommend excellent local food options suited to your group based on where we are when hunger strikes eg fish and chips by the beach or at a local seaside cafe.
Points to note
- Pick up from your centrally located accommodation. Other locations possible, please ask.
- Start times are negotiable, usually around 9-9.30 start.
- Shore excursion timings are matched to your cruise ship schedule. Port pick up and drop offs are available.
- Our sightseeing tours include many activities however additional attractions may be available at customer cost on the day.
- Any attractions requiring pre-booking (to guarantee availability) are identified on the booking page. Additional costs will be added to the standard tour price.
- Reasonable Terms & Conditions apply to all tours.
uTours offers you:
- A relaxing personal sightseeing tour designed specifically for you and your travelling companions.
- Personal space - our easy to step into van provides you with comfortable seats and big windows for outstanding views.
- A friend to show you around – your tour, our home town.
- Peace of mind - comfort stops as required.
- uTours, made for you.
What you can expect on your tour:
- You will be met on time at an agreed location, usually your accommodation.
- We will communicate with you quickly and clearly.
- Your tour will reflect your interests & time requirements.
- You will be driven safely, have fun and be well looked after.
- At the end of the tour, you will have a good sense and feel for the Wellington region.