(7 hours approximately, itinerary based on your interests and time available)
A day trip north on State Highway 1 through the Kāpiti Coast offers stunning scenery overlooking Kāpiti Island nature reserve, 40 kms of unspoilt beaches, historic sites, quirky seaside towns and a thriving arts and foodie scene.
We will communicate with you about your interests and tailor your tour to ensure we make the most of your small group’s time on the Kāpiti Coast.
Your day can be a mix of enjoying the natural unspoilt beauty of Kāpiti, exploring deserted sandy and rocky beaches, wandering happily amongst the local birds, plus enjoying fabulous art and food experiences at a relaxed pace.
We will pop into some attractions for a quick look and be more leisurely at others.
Driven by your interests, areas north of Wellington we cover can include:
Porirua / Pukerua Bay / Paekākāriki / Waikanae / Ōtaki / Paekākāriki Hill / Pahatahanui Inlet
Adult Full Day
Fourth person guarantees exclusive tour. Sixth person is free.
Some of our favourite things to do in Kāpiti include:
- Tasting your way around Kāpiti - The warm climate and fertile soils make Kāpiti a great place for artisan food and drink. Tuatara and North End Brewery produce exceptional craft beer, Kāpiti cheeses and ice creams must be experienced and you can pick your own fruit in season.
- Visiting the Southwards Car Museum, considered the premier privately owned automotive collection in the southern hemisphere, has over 400 cars for viewing.
- Shoppers will love their time spent in Ōtaki's Outlet shops or the 80 shops at Coastlands, one of the first malls in New Zealand, opening in 1969.
- History buffs will enjoy St Mary's in Otaki, the oldest NZ Catholic Church in constant use since 1859, and Queen Elizabeth Park in Paekākāriki, home to 15,000 American marines during WWII.
- Bird lovers can visit Ngā Manu Nature reserve (eels, tuatara, kiwi and other native birds), or the Waikanae Estuary and Scenic Reserve for opportunities to enjoy local birdlife.
Points to note
- Start times are negotiable, usually around 9-9.30 start (Half or full day tour).
- Our sightseeing tours include light refreshments. Lunch and paid attractions are at customer cost on the day - this means you can choose how you spend your day eg fish and chips on the beach or lunch at one of our fabulous cafes.
- Any attractions requiring pre-booking are identified on the booking form with any extra cost added to the standard tour price.
- Reasonable Terms & Conditions apply to all tours.
uTours offers you:
- A relaxing personal sightseeing tour designed specifically for you and your travelling companions (maximum 6 people). uTours, made for you.
- A friend to show you around – make local connections and meet our Wellington. Your tour, our home town.
- Flexibility on the day – be free spirited or more organised. Your tour, your way.
- Comfort - Our easy to step into van provides you with plenty of space, great seats and big windows for outstanding views.
What you can expect on your tour:
- You will be met on time at an agreed location, usually your accommodation.
- We will communicate with you quickly and clearly.
- Your tour will reflect your interests & time requirements.
- You will be driven safely, have fun and be well looked after.
- At the end of the tour, you will have a good sense and feel for the Wellington region.