(7 hours approximately, itinerary based on your interests and time available)
Shore excursions to the Wairarapa may be available depending on your ship's schedule. Please ask.
A day trip north on State Highway 2 through the Hutt Valley to the Wairarapa offers wide valleys, big skies, and thriving small towns whilst experiencing an iconic New Zealand hill road. Brisk days in winter and grape growing heat in summer, the Wairarapa offers you rural New Zealand at its best.
We will communicate with you about your interests and tailor your tour to ensure we make the most of your group’s time in the Wairarapa.
Your day can be a relaxing mix of visiting local artisan food stores, exploring boutique stores, poking around antique treasures, wandering around museums, enjoying exquisite café food & local wines, or discovering Stonehenge Aotearoa.
We will pop into some attractions for a quick look and be more leisurely at others.
Driven by your interests, areas we can cover include:
Remutaka Hill / Featherston / Greytown / Carterton / Masterton / Martinborough
Adult Full Day
Includes pick up, drop off & refreshments
Sixth person travels free
Some of our favourite Wairarapa highlights include:
- Tasting delights – C’est Cheese in Featherston is bursting with specialty cheeses, olive oils and gourmet Wairarapa food. Shoc Chocolate in Greytown has over 85 flavours of locally handcrafted chocolate. The Wairarapa also has an abundance of wineries, cafes and fruit stalls.
- Wander through gorgeous Greytown or Martinborough – Designer clothing, gourmet food, antiques and art within easy walking distance.
- Travel back to quieter times at Lake Ferry, a sleepy beach village on the shores of Lake Onoke, where it empties into the rugged Palliser Bay.
- Experience Paua World for all your kiwi souvenirs, with paua shell jewellery, giftware and craft supplies available.
- During the warmer seasons, visit Kahikatea Gardens where you can pat and take photos with friendly sheep, miniature horses, alpacas, donkeys and Harry the red deer. The guided tour of the country garden offers a grove of native trees, many shrubs and roses and a 900 year old Kahikatea tree (booking required).
Kahikatea Gardens and Stonehenge Aotearoa: (Minimum 3 people. Tick relevant boxes on booking form)
As we are working with other providers, visits to Kahikatea Gardens and Stonehenge Aotearoa need to be booked in advance and costs are additional
We can also arrange guided tours of Kahikatea Gardens and Stonehenge Aotearoa for 2 people for an additional $20 per person ($40 to visit both attractions). This additional fee will be refunded on the day if there are any other bookings for these attractions on your tour.
Children: Our tours are generally designed for adults or children over the age of 10 (approximately). If you have younger children, please contact us to see how we can assist you.
Light refreshments are included.
Lunch is at customer cost on the day. We want to be as flexible as possible re meeting your food needs therefore have decided not to include lunch in the cost of the day. We will recommend excellent local food options suited to your group based on where we are when hunger strikes eg pies in the park or lunch at one of our fabulous cafes.
Points to note
- Pick up from your centrally located accommodation. Other locations possible, please ask.
- Start times are negotiable, usually around 9-9.30 start.
- Shore excursion timings are matched to your cruise ship schedule. Port pick up and drop offs are available.
- Our sightseeing tours include many activities however additional attractions may be available at customer cost on the day.
- Any attractions requiring pre-booking (to guarantee availability) are identified on the booking page. Additional costs will be added to the standard tour price.
- Occasionally due to local weather, the Remutaka Hill road gets closed. If this happens on the day of your tour, we will work with you to offer you an alternative day out or provide a refund.
- Reasonable Terms & Conditions apply to all tours.
uTours offers you:
- A relaxing personal sightseeing tour designed specifically for you and your travelling companions.
- Personal space - our easy to access vehicles provide you with comfortable seats and big windows for outstanding views.
- A friend to show you around – your tour, our home town.
- Peace of mind - comfort stops as required.
- uTours, made for you.
What you can expect on your tour:
- You will be met on time at an agreed location, usually your accommodation.
- We will communicate with you quickly and clearly.
- Your tour will reflect your interests & time requirements.
- You will be driven safely, have fun and be well looked after.
- At the end of the tour, you will have a good sense and feel for the Wellington region.