(7 hours approximately, itinerary based on your interests and time available)
A day trip north on State Highway 2 through the Hutt Valley to the Wairarapa offers wide valleys, big skies, and thriving small towns whilst experiencing an iconic New Zealand hill road. Brisk days in winter and grape growing heat in summer, the Wairarapa offers you rural New Zealand at its best.
We will communicate with you about your interests and tailor your tour to ensure we make the most of your small group’s time in the Wairarapa.
Your day can be a relaxing mix of visiting local artisan food stores, exploring boutique stores, poking around antique treasures, wandering around museums, enjoying exquisite café food & local wines, or discovering Stonehenge Aotearoa.
We will pop into some attractions for a quick look and be more leisurely at others.
Driven by your interests, areas we can cover include:
Rimutaka Hill / Featherston / Greytown / Carterton / Masterton / Martinborough
Adult Full Day
Fourth person guarantees exclusive tour. Sixth person is free.
Some of our favourite things to do in Wairarapa include:
- Tasting delights – C’est Cheese in Featherston is bursting with speciality cheeses, olive oils and gourmet Wairarapa food, Shoc Chocolate in Greytown has over 85 flavours of locally handcrafted chocolate, plus the Wairarapa has an abundance of wineries, cafes and fruit stalls.
- Wander through gorgeous Greytown – Designer clothing, gourmet food, antiques and art, all on the main street.
- Travel back in time at Stonehenge Aotearoa – Explore this astonishing, full-scale, working adaptation of Stonehenge, the brainchild of one of New Zealand’s top astronomers.
- Experience Paua World for all your kiwi souvenirs, with paua shell jewellery, giftware and craft supplies available.
- During the warmer seasons, visit Kahikatea Gardens where you can pat and take photos with friendly sheep, minature hourses, alpacas, donkeys and Harry the red deer. The guided tour of the country garden offers a grove of native trees, many shrubs and roses and a 900 year old Kahikatea tree.
Kahikatea Gardens and Stonehenge Aotearoa: (Minimum 3 people. Tick relevant boxes on booking form)
As we are working with other providers, visits to Kahikatea Gardens and Stonehenge Aotearoa need to be booked in advance and costs are additional
We can also arrange guided tours of Kahikatea Gardens and Stonehenge Aotearoa for 2 people for an additional $20 per person ($40 to visit both attractions). This additional fee will be refunded on the day if there are any other bookings for these attractions on your tour.
Points to note
- Start times are negotiable, usually around 9-9.30 start (Half or full day tour).
- Our sightseeing tours include light refreshments. Lunch and paid attractions are at customer cost on the day - this means you can choose how you spend your day eg fish and chips in the park or lunch at one of our fabulous cafes.
- Occasionally due to local weather, the Rimutaka Hill road gets closed. If this happens on the day of your tour, we will work with you to offer you an alternative day out or provide a refund.
- Reasonable Terms & Conditions apply to all tours.
uTours offers you:
- A relaxing personal sightseeing tour designed specifically for you and your travelling companions (maximum 6 people). uTours, made for you.
- A friend to show you around – make local connections and meet our Wellington. Your tour, our home town.
- Flexibility on the day – be free spirited or more organised. Your tour, your way.
- Comfort - Our easy to step into van provides you with plenty of space, great seats and big windows for outstanding views.
What you can expect on your tour:
- You will be met on time at an agreed location, usually your accommodation.
- We will communicate with you quickly and clearly.
- Your tour will reflect your interests & time requirements.
- You will be driven safely, have fun and be well looked after.
- At the end of the tour, you will have a good sense and feel for the Wellington region.