(3 or 7 hours approximately, itinerary based on your interests and time available)
Love the arts, then Wellington is the city for you.
Wellington is the creative capital of New Zealand with many different galleries to visit. Experience some of our spectacular scenery as we travel between galleries around the Wellington area.
On our Arts Tour, you will have the opportunity to tap into the thriving creative Wellington art scene. We will visit spectacular public art galleries, dealer and commercial galleries or local artists based on you and your fellow traveller's interests.
Split your day according to whether you are looking to browse or buy.
Driven by your interests and time, galleries we could visit include:
Dowse Art Museum / New Zealand Portrait Gallery / Museum Hotel / Academy of Fine Arts / Mahara Gallery / Expressions Whirinaki Art / City Gallery / Te Papa Galleries / Pātaka Arts & Museum
Or you may prefer to visit galleries where the focus is on artwork for sale. Options include: Solander Gallery / Paige Blackie Gallery / Avid Gallery / Vessel / Kura and Ora Galleries / Alfred Memelink Artspace Gallery
Adult Half Day
Fourth person guarantees exclusive tour. Sixth person is free.
- New exhibitions are opening all the time - eg Te Papa’s new art gallery (opened 17 March), showcasing contemporary jewellery, immersive art experiences and iconic New Zealand works.
- Exploring community oriented contemporary art and culture - eg The Dowse Art Museum, in the Hutt Valley, has one of New Zealand's largest and significant public art collections numbering over 2000 items, including significant ceramic and craft work.
- Meeting local artist Alfred Memelink at his Petone waterfront gallery. Watching whilst he creates one of his iconic Wellington scenic watercolour paintings then exploring the diverse range of NZ affordable art and gifts on display from over 300 local artists.
Points to Note
- Start times are negotiable, usually around 9-9.30 start (Half or full day tour). 1-2pm for afternoon tour (Half day only).
- Our sightseeing tours include light refreshments. Lunch and paid attractions are at customer cost on the day - this means you can choose how you spend your day eg fish and chips on the beach or lunch at one of our fabulous cafes.
- Any attractions requiring pre-booking are identified on the booking form with any extra cost added to the standard tour price.
- Reasonable Terms & Conditions apply to all tours.
uTours offers you:
- A relaxing personal sightseeing tour designed specifically for you and your travelling companions (maximum 6 people). uTours, made for you.
- A friend to show you around – make local connections and meet our Wellington. Your tour, our home town.
- Flexibility on the day – be free spirited or more organised. Your tour, your way.
- Comfort - Our easy to step into van provides you with plenty of space, great seats and big windows for outstanding views.
What you can expect on your tour:
- You will be met on time at an agreed location, usually your accommodation.
- We will communicate with you quickly and clearly.
- Your tour will reflect your interests & time requirements.
- You will be driven safely, have fun and be well looked after.
- At the end of the tour, you will have a good sense and feel for the Wellington region.